Saturday, May 30, 2009

MoleAsses Cookie Recipe

Ok... So anytime my mom cooked with molasses, she would have to tell us some stupid joke about a family of moles. I really dont remember the story. Maybe they went out for a while, leaving dinner or cookies or something. So when they came back and walked into their hole, one of the family members said, MMM smells good. And the reply was.... "Well it smells like a bunch of MoleAsses to me." Anyway, writing up this recipe made me think of it. Ill have to ask my mom the real version of the story when she gets back into town.

MoleAsses Cookie Recipe (Soft and Reduced Fat Version)

3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 C molasses
1/2 C low-fat buttermilk (Isn't that an oxymoron?)
1/4 C vegetable oil
2 C flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C sugar (I added this in cause I didnt want the cookies to be too bitter, but I dont think it really needed it.)

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Dissolve baking soda in molasses in a large bowl.
3. Combine buttermilk with oil; stir into molasses mixture.
4. Combine flour, ginger, sugar and salt.
5. Add flour mixture into the molasses mixture.
6. Coat hand with cooking spray. (I just used water)
7. Shape dough into little balls and place 2 in apart. (FYI: The "dough" has a consistancy closer to cake batter. So don't be surprised if its sticky. Thus the cooking spray.)
8. Bake @ 375 for 10 min.

Glaze:
Combine in a zip-loc baggie:
1 C powdered sugar
1 T water
1/2 tsp vanilla
I noticed that the glaze was super thick and I didn't like it. I added 2 T water the second time and it was too watery. So I think its just a play it by ear thing on the water depending on how thick or thin you want your glaze to be.

Cut the corner of your zip-loc baggie and squirt glaze over top of cookies.
MMMM. ENJOY.

I suggest making these while watching Lonesome Dove or Open Range. That way you almost feel like you were a part of all the fun back then.

No comments: