Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Til divorce do us part....

So today was my child support hearing. It went well, by the way. (Minus getting duped out of about 8 months of back child support because of my stupid document prep guy.) But other than that Im just happy to have everything settled. Because my case would take the longest, I got to wait through all of the other cases ahead of me. It was the saddest thing I have ever witnessed.
See, most of the cases were divorce hearings. For the most part it consisited of the wives coming in alone, saying,
-- No, the free state provided counseling wont fix it,
-- No, I dont want spousal support,
-- No, there are no children involved,
-- Yes, I want to change back to my maiden name,
-- Yes, I have what I want in my posession and he has what he wants
And in a matter of minutes, POOF, the marriage was over. Some of the women seemed relieved, others seemed to be hit with the reality of the judge concluding the case and declaring them legally single status again.

It took minutes, guys, a couple questions, and literally MINUTES.

It was so strange to watch. You could almost picture them in their designer, overpriced wedding dresses, glowing as the best man toasted the happy couple. You could probably assume they were still paying off credit card debt racked up by wedding expenses. I wanted to yell... Hey, what was it that made you want to get married in the first place? Did you ever think it would end in this? A default case where your husband doesn't even show up to end the marriage? Lucky he was even present to start it off.... Maybe that was the problem, he was never really present for the marriage in the first place.....

I'm trying not to let this experience have a negative effect on me. (I've become quite the cynic when it come to love.... I know, not me, but believe me... its there... its subtle... LOL)

I guess I haven't quite digested it all. And I dont quite know what effect it had on me, but it really struck me as being one of the saddest things I have witnessed. EVER.

No comments: