Monday, September 15, 2008

HEY NOAH......

So this past week has been crazy stressful and the thought of the next two coming weeks makes me want to cry. I have my bankruptcy hearing on Thursday (along with a meeting with my other lawyer later that day) and next Tuesday is the child support hearing. That, plus other garbage weighing me down, is making me crazy. My list is always far longer than the time I have to accomplish it. As I was sitting here at work, lamenting my current situation. I had a memory that made me laugh.

I remember going on a roadtrip, Im sure it was on our way camping or something and instead of our usual "oldies" tapes, my mom brought along an old Bill Cosby comedy tape. I remember laughing, a lot. Probably cause I knew it was the right time to laugh, not cause I really understood why it was so funny. Anyway, the track that sticks out most is his "Noah" skit. It basically took you through a realistic conversation a regular joe would have if they were in the position of Noah. (questioning why, and basically the reaction of "youve got to be kidding, Lord") So Im sitting here, as I mentioned before, lamenting my current circumstances and the big memorable tag line from the skit comes to mind. "Hey Noah, how long can you tread water...." Funny cause thats about what I feel like Im doing lately and funny cause the skit is just dang funny. Maybe, the memory came because I spend too much time trying to do it on my own and less time on my knees. But anyway...

I think I knew it was funny back when I was a kid, because I could visualize Noah treading water as the rain continued to fall. Knowing that it was impossible to tread water forever, but kinda understanding that building the arc was a kinda crazy thing to have to do.

Now as an adult, being able to relate to having those same reactions to some of the tests and trials Ive been through, the skit takes on a whole new level of comedy. The pain of being in the middle of a "project" I dont want (usually the project being my own refining) and the realization that the alternatives are even worse. Sometimes, I know the Lord finds humor in our reactions to life. I know it. Im sure of it. And sometimes, I'm sure he shakes His head at our stubborness as He has to find a way to get to us. And sometimes, I swear I have audibly heard the words, "Emily, How long can you tread water....." A little reminder that if I would just do things His way, I could save myself a whole lotta trouble in the long run.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Aw Em...Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit!!! I'll send a few extra prayers up for you!