Friday, March 28, 2008

Grafting

So Mille sent me an email yesterday of "cool trees". At first I thought they were pretty cool. But as I looked at them I started thinking, "Wow, this is grafting." I know most people wouldn't be very impressed with that realization. But it was a big deal for me. While this was for purly esthetic reasons, it still provided me a visual of what can really be accomplished when "grafting". No I am not a landscape archetect or an agricultural efficianado, so where am I going with this? Jacob 5...I think. The Allegory of the Olive Tree. Not one of the most easily understood parts of the Book of Mormon. But for me the visual that these pictures provides helps. Grafting, as in the allegory, is much more understood in olive or wine regions. (Not Phoenix, AZ) The pictures help me to see the literal relevance of Grafting (showing the amazing ability for all the little branches or trees to become one, stong and beautiful and perfectly united.) It also helps me to relate my life to the Allegory and its spiritual ramafications. Christ grafting us in to become one, strong and beautiful and perfectly united. For me to get anywhere in reading the Book of Mormon, I have really visualize what is going on. I was blessed during my mission to have it read like a movie playing in my head. I have lost some of that, so every little bit helps.
Oh, yeah, I forgot the other part. I read about grafting and the the deal is, you can't graft different types of trees. So to have a successful "graft" the trees must be alike. Thus, we must be like Christ for the "graft" to work for us. Things to think about on Friday when you dont feel like working.....



No comments: