Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The quote for the day....

There is an ancient saying, famous among men, that thou shouldst not judge fully of a man's life before he dieth, whether it should be called blessed or wretched.

--Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Funny that this is the quote for the day as I watch Reed's dad return to prison this week. There is a part of me that sighs with relief. There is a part of me that is saddened that he has not yet recognized that he is better than the life he chooses to lead. My hope is that he will eventually learn the lessons he needs to, so that he can become a man one would judge as blessed. I find comfort in this. Not only for Reed's fathers sake, but for my own.

My life too has had major valleys, major low point, times that I look back at with shame. But I can also look back at those times and use them as a baseline to see how far I have come. And it gives me an opportunity to recognize how far I still have to go so that my own life can be called blessed.

No comments: