Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Fight for Sleep

Since Reed has become more and more mobile and has the tendency to hang himself over the edge of the bed and drop (twice now he has fallen), I have realized that I have done a bad thing letting him sleep in my bed. Mind you I was never one of those hippie "family bed" kinda people, it was purely a convenience thing. Reed has become like a puppy. He crawls around finding pillows to lay on, then after trying them out for a few seconds changes positions a few times, and then moves on to another spot on the bed and the process starts again. Just when I think he is finally asleep he will roll himself over a couple times til he either has his back to the wall or I pick him up to get him away from the edge of the bed. Either way, it starts the search for the perfect spot all over again. When he finally does fall asleep, its usually in some crazy and very uncomfortable looking position. Sometimes his arms and head hanging off the corner of the bed, sometimes he falls asleep kneeling up against a stack of pillows, sometimes he is wedged between two pillows. He has even fallen asleep hanging over the side of me. (Now while I am as soft as any pillow I have, really its not comfortable for either of us.) Most frequently he sprawls himself right smack dab in the center of my bed, taking up the whole space. So I decided it was time to make him start sleeping in the crib again. He does for his naps while I am at work. Why not his own crib at home. (HA HA HA--This sounded a whole lot easier and a whole lot more rational in my head.) So the Crib fight continues. The pediatrician says I just need to let him cry. But what he doesnt understand is that we share a room and that just doesn't quite work. So I am afraid I will end up with a spoiled little brat... Which i already have.... But he is so very cute!!!

2 comments:

Settler's Bay Relief Society said...

At least your kid will sleep. The reason my kids never slept with us, is because they always kept me awake. Jumping, gliggling, sitting on my face, anything but actually sleeping!

laurie said...

emily,
I so enjoy your blog. Your turn, turn, turn post was inspired! Greg and I both really changed our thinking about that scripture after reading what you had to say.
laurie christensen